Thursday, July 23, 2015

Sharknado Cupcakes


So for some reason, I'm watching Sharknado 3 tonight... and unfortunately the internet led me to Nerdy Nummies' Sharknado cupcakes post.

I had a few problems with her instructions (some health and safety related, some nit-picky), so I decided to make my own attempt. However, she had some great ideas, so I give her all the credit for the idea to make sharks out of twinkies and use cones filled with icing for the tornadoes.

This is only for the decoration of the cupcakes, so I'm going to go ahead and assume that you have a recipe for cupcakes that you wish to top with sharknados. I used a mix that tasted like pudding and shame - appropriate for watching Sharknado 3.

What you'll need:

Sugar cones
Twinkies
At least a pound of white melting chocolate
Chocolate wafers
Buttercream icing*
Blue and black food coloring
Fondant
Icing bags and tips

*I used a recipe with cream cheese in it because it's July in Georgia. My recipe uses a pound of butter and a little more than two pounds of confectioners sugar. I ended up using about 3/4 of it. So that would be at least two containers of store-bought icing.

Day 1

Make as many tiny half-sharks as you can stand making (I gave up at 14) out of fondant.


Cut the twinkies in half diagonally, and cut the tops and the very bottoms of the sugar cones off. I found the sugar cones to be very easy to cut with a bread knife.


Chop the chocolate wafers into pieces for top and side fins, and stick them into the twinkies. At this point I also covered a cooling rack in plastic wrap (because I couldn't find my wax paper). Luckily, this made them easy to stick into the freezer for 10 minutes.



Melt the white chocolate and stir in just enough black food coloring to make it shark/tornado grey. Dip the cones (careful to let them drain) and then the twinkies (after they're done chilling in the freezer). Because the fins are chocolate as well, make sure that the chocolate is warm enough not to dislodge them, but not hot enough to instantly melt them (e.g. don't microwave them for 15 seconds just before you dip them.... like I did).


After they harden for a couple hours or so (I let mine sit for about 5 hours), wrap them up and put them in the refrigerator for tomorrow.

Day 2

Bake your cupcakes. Let the cupcakes cool. Make/grab your icing.

Fill the cones with grey icing. Ice the cupcakes with enough blue icing to look like waves and hold the tornadoes on. Place tornadoes and sharks on top of your cupcakes. Cover the backs of your sharks with blue icing.


Use a toothpick or similar tool to swirl the icing in the tornadoes around so that it looks.... tornado-esque. Add your tiny sharks to the mix.


Finally, using black and white colored icing, add faces to your twinkie sharks.

The tornadoes ended up being surprisingly sturdy. I'm not looking forward to transporting these though.

There you go. Were you to want to spend this much time thinking about the sharknado movies, this is how you can go about it, and then eat your shame afterwards. <3

If you have any ideas about what you'd like to see another post on or issues you had with this tutorial, let me know in the comments! I might listen to you - you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment